August 7, 2012

My new obsession: Bikram Yoga


A friend of mine recently convinced me to buy a groupon  for yoga classes.  It was such a great deal so of course I had to buy it.  Little did I know what I was getting myself into when I showed up for class on Saturday.   I came dressed in gym gear, with a yoga mat.  That means... I had NO WATER, or towel.  My instructor quickly informed me that I needed water for this exercise and she threw me a towel.  Lucky, they had water to buy.




I didn't realize this was BIKRAM YOGA (better known as HOT YOGA).  What is Bikram yoga? I went to Wikipedia for the best description. "Bikram Yoga is a system of yoga that Bikram Choudhury synthesized from traditional hatha yoga [1] techniques and popularized beginning in the early 1970s. [2][3]
Bikram's classes run exactly 90 minutes and consist of a set series of 26 postures and 2 breathing exercises. Bikram Yoga is ideally practiced in a room heated to 105°F (≈ 40.6°C) with a humidity of 40%, [citation needed] and is the most popular form of hot yoga (a series of yoga poses done in a heated room)."

 Let me tell you right now... IT'S HOT!!   I was dripping sweat from head to toe after our 80 minute work out!    I was soaking wet but loved the amazing work out.  I felt like I  had released a ton of stress and toxins!  It was FABULOUS!  I went Sunday and last night as well.

I have to admit that last night KICKED my butt.  I think it was because I had a long day at work and then went straight to yoga .  I was already exhausted when I showed up for class.  

It was still a great experience and I slept like a baby.  If you want a killer work out---I highly suggested Bikram yoga.  It's not easy but nothing in life is easy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment