July 24, 2012

What's a Haboob?


Funny word, right?  I didn't know what a haboob was until about a year ago when Phoenix experienced a crazy dust storm.  I remember I was just around the corner from my home when I looked into the sky to see the craziest sky I've ever seen.  That's when I learned the word... HABOOB.

Haboob is an Arabic term to describe a strong and violent dust strom.  This term is typically used in the middle-east.

This is our view of the storm

Saturday, we experienced another HABOOB and it was quite an adventure.  Ryan and I were headed to dinner with friends and family and were trying to out-drive the storm.  It moves quickly so it did catch up to us eventually. I had washed my car that day and straighten my hair.  You can only imagine how that story turned out. :)  Oh well... it was a lot of fun.  I hope everyone made it safe out of the haboob!



This was the view of my cousin & wife headed to Chandler from PHX.




Below are some video's I found on YouTube from the Saturday storm.



No comments:

Post a Comment